Wow! There sure is a lot going on these days.
First, I just got married, and it was by far the most magical day of my life. Thank you to everyone who joined in our celebration.
We are now on our honeymoon in California, driving along the Pacific coast in our 1981 VW camper van! It’s really too much fun.
Secondly, I finally completed a two-year project with a friend, Eva Cabaca, who wrote the most fantastic vegan cookbook. I will let you all know once it is published because I know that you will want your very own copy of this totally unique and original work. I had the privilege of creating the design and layout for the book, and it is my pleasure to share one of the recipes with you today.
Savory Flax Crackers
• 2 cups flax seeds
• ½ cup hemp hearts
• ¼ cup chia seeds
• 2 cups water
• ½ -1 tsp. Celtic sea salt or Himalayan rock salt
• 1 Tbsp. dry herbs and spices, such as basil, oregano, chili powder, cumin
• optional ¼ cup fresh herbs, such as parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary or thyme
• optional but delicious 1 Tbsp. agave syrup and 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Grind the flax seeds in a coffee grinder briefly to get a very coarse meal. Transfer into a large bowl.
2. Add the hemp hearts, chia seeds, water, salt and all the herbs and spices.
3. For easy spreading, mix quickly before flax absorbs too much water.
4. Spread the mixture immediately onto a solid dehydrator sheet and let it harden for 10 minutes. Cut into desired shapes.
5. Dehydrate at 115oF for 3-4 hours or until the top is dry, then flip onto a mesh dehydrating sheet. Continue dehydrating at 105oF until crisp, about 5 hours.
6. Alternatively, spread the dough onto an oiled cookie sheet, cut into desired shapes and dry in the oven on the lowest setting, for 4 to 6 hours or until you achieve the desired texture (from slightly soft to very crispy).
7. Crackers will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
So that’s where I’ve been, and where I will be for the next little while. I do have some fabulous guest bloggers lined up, so check back every week or so for more of what you love! Thanks for all of your love and support for My New Roots – it means so much to me.
See you all soon.
In health and light, Sarah B.